Art Clemons on Thu, 13 Jun 2002 13:18:03 -0400

Re: [PLUG] multi-user staroffice

Arthur S. Alexion:
I haven't tried the newest KOffice yet. Nor have I tried Open Office, which I intend to do. There is also an emulator (i saved the url and name somewhere) that claims to run MS Word well in Linux that I want to try.

The newest version of KOffice usually works with Word files, but the key word is usually, it can lose placement of graphics and the like while converting. Open Office is basically the same as StarOffice 6 minus the Adabas database software, and some conversion routines for formats like that of WordPerfect software. I've only found one document that wouldn't work with OpenOffice, and it's cross platform too. The real problem is that there is not the support that Star offers for its version of the software. I have to applaud Star for funding much of the development cost and going about offering things this way, and I note that its cost per installation is a lot cheaper than Microsoft for Word. Of course, any day now, I'm expecting a new change in the .doc format to throw off the programs which can convert to and from said format.