Arthur S. Alexion on Sat, 15 Jun 2002 20:50:14 +0200

Re: [PLUG] multi-user staroffice

On Friday 14 June 2002 11:04 am, Noah silva wrote:
> I create and edit documents on OOo and SO and save them to .doc and
> distribute them at work.  So far nobody has been able to tell the
> difference.  (This includes taking .doc files, editing them, and
> saving them back to .doc).  Mind you, none of these are
> super-complicated, but many of them have tables, etc.
>
> My girlfriend used SO for a time to compose docs, save them as .doc,
> and take them into school to print out.  This resulted in formatting
> problems because:
> a.) Different printers used at home and school.
> b.) Different fonts.

This can be a killer.  I found fewer problems going from SO/Linux/@work
to Word97/Win9x/@work, than SO/home/Win9x to SO/Linux/@work primarily
because of different fonts and charsets.

That's why I suggested pre-conversion tweaking.  If you can install the
fonts used by your word installation on your OO/SO/Linux computer, and
make sure you are using the same charsets as your winword coworkers,
you should be able to minimize the problems.