christophe barbé on Fri, 14 Jun 2002 14:31:53 -0400

Re: [PLUG] starting a program at boot

On Fri, Jun 14, 2002 at 01:36:08PM -0400, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 14, 2002 at 01:27:28PM -0400, christophe barbé wrote:
> > Why ? RedHat, debian, Mandrake and the new LimitedLinux (oops sorry
> > UnitedLinux) support the FHS (at least at some extends).
>
> There are way more distributions of Linux than that. Hey, look, I'll
> go grab the Debian cvs tree, remove the -e flag from echo(1), make
> it use NetBSD's rc structure instead of SysV rc at all, and call it
> gr GNU/Linux.
>
> What's FHS stand for anyhow?

It is made especially for you. With it you can grab the last debian
source "remove the -e flag from echo(1)" and NOT "make it use NetBSD's
rc structure" and then expect most programs run smoothly on your
GabeLinux.

> (A Linux-specific standard? Why not just follow POSIX or SuS like
> the rest of us?)

I am not aware enough of these standards to comment but after using
SuSe, RedHat and now debian, I am very happy to see distributions
following a Linux specific standard.

Christophe

> --
> gabriel rosenkoetter
> gr@eclipsed.net

Ce que l'on conçoit bien s'énonce clairement,
Et les mots pour le dire arrivent aisément.
   Nicolas Boileau, L'Art poétique