gabriel rosenkoetter on Sun, 16 Jun 2002 23:39:11 -0400

Re: [PLUG] RMS and GNU/sink (was: systrace is cool)

On Fri, Jun 14, 2002 at 08:51:48PM -0400, Bill Jonas wrote:
> Yup.  The description says it's the OpenBSD version written by Keith
> Muller.

Gee, that's funny. I wonder where OpenBSD got it... Ah yes:

http://cvsweb.netbsd.org/bsdweb.cgi/basesrc/bin/pax/pax.c

From 4.4 Lite, which would have been around '92. When was the first
OpenBSD release? Ah, yes, around '96. Hrmmmm. Guess OpenBSD probably
got it when they forked from NetBSD in late '95 then, eh?

Might want to point out to the Debian folks that Keith Muller
actually did his work on pax(1) at UC San Diego.

Of course, maybe by "the OpenBSD version" they mean that it lacks
the -M flag (use mtree(8)--another BSD thing, from 4.3 Reno; it
does the same stuff that the free version of Tripwire does--format),
since Luke Mewburn added that,, and he's a NetBSD developer.

I love it when Theo's half-truths get perpetuated like this. No,
really, I do.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net