Will Dyson on Mon, 17 Jun 2002 08:09:32 -0400

Re: [PLUG] RMS and GNU/sink (was: systrace is cool)

gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:

Might want to point out to the Debian folks that Keith Muller
actually did his work on pax(1) at UC San Diego.

Of course, maybe by "the OpenBSD version" they mean that it lacks
the -M flag (use mtree(8)--another BSD thing, from 4.3 Reno; it
does the same stuff that the free version of Tripwire does--format),
since Luke Mewburn added that,, and he's a NetBSD developer.

Hi Gabe.

My interpretation of "the OpenBSD version" would be "We yoinked this from the OpenBSD CVS tree". And if any changes were made to pax in the OpenBSD tree since OpenBSD forked, then I think it makes sense to identify it as "the OpenBSD version" of the code (as it may be different from the version in the {Net|Free}BSD CVS).

Of course, I don't know if any such changes were made to pax since the fork.

Perhaps it would be best if the description said "Originally by Keith Muller", or something to that effect.

> I love it when Theo's half-truths get perpetuated like this. No,
> really, I do.

Not that I don't think Mr. de Raadt is an abrasive SOB (lord knows he is), but I don't see how this one can be layed at his feet. I suggest you take it up with the Debian maintainer for the pax package, who's address can be found here:

http://packages.debian.org/unstable/utils/pax.html

Cheers!

--
Will Dyson
"Back off man, I'm a scientist!" -Dr. Peter Venkman