carcompman on Tue, 18 Jun 2002 14:55:33 -0400

[PLUG] Configuring Samba on a Dell Inspiron 7000

To whom it may Concern:

I am new to Linux and bought the Weekend Crash Course to Linux which came with Red Hat Linux 7.2.  I installed it without a hitch on my Dell Inspiron 7000 with 300Mhz, and 320MB Ram.  However, I am having tons of trouble configuring Samba to network it with my Windows 98 desktop machine.

My username on my linux laptop is "Alex" and the hostname of the laptop is "linuxbox" So far the best I have done is gotten the Windows PC to see the Laptop and I can ping the laptop from the desktop and get a response so I know it is going through.  Because of this I assume that nmbd is working correctly but something is getting messed up in the smbd portion of this.  My workgroup is "@home" running behind a Linksys Router with DHCP.  Currently I have my security setting to User but have also tried the share level setting, but the USER setting has no encryption because I ran the registry patch telling Windows to not encrypt my password.

My Goal once I get this filesharing portion running correctly with my Desktop, I would like to add a printer that is currently running on another Windows box which is running WinXP.

So far I have read all the documents that came with samba as well as part of the Samba HOWTO.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Alex Shusterman