Jon Nelson on Wed, 19 Jun 2002 09:19:37 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Configuring Samba on a Dell Inspiron 7000

On 18/06/02 14:55 -0400, carcompman@comcast.net wrote:
> To whom it may Concern:
>
> I am new to Linux and bought the Weekend Crash Course to Linux which came with Red Hat Linux 7.2.  I installed it without a hitch on my Dell Inspiron 7000 with 300Mhz, and 320MB Ram.  However, I am having tons of trouble configuring Samba to network it with my Windows 98 desktop machine.
>
> My username on my linux laptop is "Alex" and the hostname of the laptop is "linuxbox" So far the best I have done is gotten the Windows PC to see the Laptop and I can ping the laptop from the desktop and get a response so I know it is going through.  Because of this I assume that nmbd is working correctly but something is getting messed up in the smbd portion of this.  My workgroup is "@home" running behind a Linksys Router with DHCP.  Currently I have my security setting to User but have also tried the share level setting, but the USER setting has no encryption because I ran the registry patch telling Windows to not encrypt my password.

Can you mount the drive from windows ie: Start-->Run-->\\linuxbox ?  If you
can you probably need to setup linuxbox for wins support for name resolution.
Also goto http://de.samba.org/samba/ftp/docs/textdocs/DIAGNOSIS.txt for more
help.