Michael F. Robbins on Wed, 19 Jun 2002 00:08:12 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Configuring Samba on a Dell Inspiron 7000

On Tue, 2002-06-18 at 15:08, Noah silva wrote:
> Have you verified that SMB is actually running (i.e. ps aux | grep samba)?
> Have you tried any other TCP/IP connection (Telnet, SSH, wWW, etc.)?
> Did you look in /etc/hosts.allow?

I haven't seen any distributions set up samba from inetd by default, so
hosts.allow wouldn't make any difference.  However, you may want to see
if any firewall scripts are running.  Using the Red Hat tool "ntsysv",
see if "ipchains" or "iptables" are running.  These might be blocking
the specific ports that samba requires (somewhere in the 130s UDP,
IIRC).

In addition, you note that your workgroup name is "@home".  Just a
guess, but Samba may not like the "at" character.  Since @Home doesn't
exist anymore, and you are behind a Linksys box, you can change the name
of the workgroup to something without special characters.

Michael F. Robbins
mike@gamerack.com