Sean Finney on Tue, 18 Jun 2002 23:36:50 -0400

Re: [PLUG] arg! Linux renumbered devices again!

On Tue, Jun 18, 2002 at 11:12:28PM -0400, Noah Silva wrote:
> Straaaange,
>
> I decided to reboot the machine since it is, after all, my PC and not a
> server.  This time, I looked in the BIOS and saw the CD is the
> "Secondary master" (whatever that means...), and saw linux detect it as
> /dev/hdc.  Sure enough when I booted up, it was /dev/cdrom2 as well.
> Not the order I wanted, but as long as it appears.
>
>  -- noah silva

"secondary master" means that it's the master device on the second          IDE chain.  on your average pc these days you have two IDE controllers,     each allowing for a master and slave device, giving you a total of four     IDE devices.  usually iirc the master is hda and hdc and the slaves are
hdb and hdd for the respective ide chains 1 and 2.  I guess it's moot
now, but if you find yourself in that situation again, take a look
to see if the cdrom drives still exist as hd[a-d].  if you don't know
which is which, put an iso cd in the drive in question and do

file -s /dev/hda[a-d]

and something should show up about an iso filesystem, or at least 'data'
on the drive with the cd in it. actually, trying this out myself now,
if i put the cd in the tray and leave the tray out, and do the command,
it will actually pull the cd in to read it when i file -s it.

--sean