Noah silva on Wed, 19 Jun 2002 12:59:11 -0400

Re: [PLUG] arg! Linux renumbered devices again!

> "secondary master" means that it's the master device on the second          IDE chain.  on your average pc these days you have two IDE controllers,     each allowing for a master and slave device, giving you a total of four     IDE devices.  usually iirc the master is hda and hdc and the slaves are
> hdb and hdd for the respective ide chains 1 and 2.  I guess it's moot

interesting how people answered this, it wasn't really a question, more of
a statement of disinterest, since I planned on replacing all of the IDE
components anyhow.  But thank you anyway.  This PC does have two IDE
buses, the first one has two hard drives, the second one has just the
CD-drive.  There is a SCSI card, which has a CD-writer, a CD-rom drive,
and an MD-Data drive (and sometimes an external hard drive or so).

> now, but if you find yourself in that situation again, take a look
> to see if the cdrom drives still exist as hd[a-d].  if you don't know
> which is which, put an iso cd in the drive in question and do
>
> file -s /dev/hda[a-d]

I havn't thought of this.  I forgot file could be used on "special" files.

I just first something like:
mount /dev/cdrom /mnt
mount /dev/cdrom1 /mnt
mount /dev/hdc /mnt
mount /dev/hdd /mnt

then nothing worked, so I thought.. wtf.. and looked in /proc until I
realized it just wasn't there at all.