Noah silva on Wed, 19 Jun 2002 12:54:17 -0400

Re: [PLUG] arg! Linux renumbered devices again!

On Tue, 18 Jun 2002, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:

> > (whatever that means...), and saw linux detect it as
> > /dev/hdc.  Sure enough when I booted up, it was /dev/cdrom2 as well.
> > Not the order I wanted, but as long as it appears.
>
> dmesg(8) should have told you this without rebooting. (If the kernel
> log had spooled it, most Linux distros keep a copy of dmesg(8)'s
> output at boot time in /var/log/dmesg or similar.)

it didn't tell me because it didn't happen before I rebooted.  I had
checked all the /dev/cdrom up to cdrom9, and I had checked the /dev/hd? up
to /dav/hdd (and I had looked in /dev/ide and it wasn't there, whereas it
is now).

Sor some reason, it looked like the drive wasn't detected at last
boot-up.

 -- noah silva