gabriel rosenkoetter on Tue, 18 Jun 2002 23:24:58 -0400

Re: [PLUG] arg! Linux renumbered devices again!

On Tue, Jun 18, 2002 at 11:12:28PM -0400, Noah Silva wrote:
> I decided to reboot the machine since it is, after all, my PC and not a
> server.  This time, I looked in the BIOS and saw the CD is the
> "Secondary master"

Means it's plugged into the endpoint of the IDE cable connected to
your secondary IDE bus. (The middle plug is the slave.)

> (whatever that means...), and saw linux detect it as
> /dev/hdc.  Sure enough when I booted up, it was /dev/cdrom2 as well.
> Not the order I wanted, but as long as it appears.

dmesg(8) should have told you this without rebooting. (If the kernel
log had spooled it, most Linux distros keep a copy of dmesg(8)'s
output at boot time in /var/log/dmesg or similar.)

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net