Darxus on Wed, 19 Jun 2002 11:01:03 +0200

Re: [PLUG] PLUG makes Slashdot (sort of.)

On 06/17, Kevin Brosius wrote:
> That's the 'sort of' part.  Maybe a note on the website of other PLUGs
> is in order.  I've seen Pheonix a couple times, plus 'Prairie', from
> Canada, stopped by in irc once.

Nah, it's a common phenomenon and I think enough people are aware of
the issue and figure it out for themselves.  I think this problem is
also part of why lugs are usually spelled out along with their initials.

The oldest reference I know of to our group's name is in Chris Fearnley's
December 1995 PACS Databus article:
http://www.CJFearnley.com/databus/95cfearnl.dec.txt

Which is quoted at the top of the PLUG history page:
http://www.PhillyLinux.org/history.html

And says:  "Philadelphia Area Linux User's Group (Philly-LUG)"

I've guessed this was an initial attempt to avoid this common problem
of namespace collision.  Don't know how it changed to PLUG.  There are
at least a few people on this list that were involved back then.

The name inconsistently changed between "Users" "User's" and "User" as much
as I could tell, and was somewhat formalized a while ago on "User" in a
discussion on this list.  I should find that in the archives and document
it on the history page.

--
"Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it is very important that
you do it." - Mahatma Gandhi