gabriel rosenkoetter on Wed, 19 Jun 2002 11:05:05 +0200

Re: [PLUG] Email encryption

On Tue, Jun 18, 2002 at 06:27:25PM -0400, Chris Beggy  wrote:
> Hence the FWIW, hence the grok. Feedback is feedback.  Feedback to Jesse,
> feedback to the gnus mailing list.  Thanks for your feedback.

Hokay. I thought that's what you were saying, just making sure.

Did gnus actually say "bad signature" or just not verify it? What
about if you pipe the message to gpg -v?

> My gnus reader likes mime compliant gpg signatures and
> encryption, rather than the in-line style enigmail evidently
> produces.  Does your mail reader handle both types equally well?
> If so, what is it?  Are there others that do so as well?

mutt 1.4 (actually, this has been true since 1.3.2x, I think). But
switching may be more irritating than not for you. gnus keeps its
mail in MH-style mailboxes, right? I think it's also got a
significantly different UI than mutt and, while there are mutt
keybindings files floating around to make pine junkies happy, I've
never head of anything similar for gnus. (In any case, if you use
gnus, it's probably because you like staying in emacs for as much as
possible; you may not dig having another terminal around just for
mail.)

Verification of RFC-compliant signatures happens automatically,
verification of clear-signed messages happens either by piping to
gpg -v (which I used to do, but which is ugly and doesn't show the
message in a very readable format at the same time as the PGP
output) or by hitting <ESC>-P (the capital P, as BJ pointed out
earlier today, is important; this is much better, since it reformats
the message and shows it exactly as mutt does when it auto-verifies
a MIME-attached signature).

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net