Kyle R . Burton on Thu, 20 Jun 2002 00:07:24 -0400

Re: [PLUG] C++ on Linux, Was: this code crashes [OT]

> The reason C++ came about was to release developers from the harsh evils of C
> when it came to doing anything beyond basic array manipulation.  Like
> assembly many neat things can be done in C, and some times they are very
> quick and small.  But you have to ask your self, "Is 25 lines of C that run
> really really fast and took me 12 hours to write, worth all of that 5 minutes
> that it took me to write this in python?"  Granted that is an exageration but
> you get the point I am trying to make :)
>
> If you have any problems do a google search on ifstream (for input hence the
> name) and ofstream for output.  they have very similar operators to istream
> and ostream, since they i think are both derived from ios.  I could be wrong
> since it has been 6 years since I had that class :)

One of the biggest hurdles [IMO] to C++ adoption under Linux is documentation.
I can type 'man fread' and get back a good description of how the function
works, what arguments it expects, what it returns and it's side effects (set
errno) - and pointers to other related functions.

I have yet to be able to do a 'man iostream' or 'info iostream' or what
have you.  I've found some STL documentation on the web that was
originaly authored by SGI, but frankly, compared to the bare-bones manpages
that cover the bulk of the standard C library, it sucks.

I have C++ books, including STL books, but paper just isn't as easy,
fast, or convienient as man/info.  The books also have the whole physical
location problem - they can only be in one place at a time.

One thing I'd love to see the standard C library (and the STL) adopt is the
use of Doxygen.  Documentation generation would be a no-brainer.  I've used
Doxygen for both C++ and Java documentation, and I can no recommend it highly
enough - I sincerly wish that it could be bent to the will of Perl.

bah, now I'm just ranting...

Kyle