ian reinhart geiser on Thu, 20 Jun 2002 00:26:05 -0400

Re: [PLUG] C++ on Linux, Was: this code crashes [OT]

STL - Right from the horses mouth:
http://www.sgi.com/tech/stl/

Please remember that C++ is a very new standard, and the STL is still very
scarry under most platforms.  Most C++ libs have man pages.  AFAIK both gtk
and qt types both have man pages.  Also please note that most of these C man
pages are probibly older than most of us on the list, unless you can find
someone willing to document the entire STL and STDC++ we will not see a good
documentation of ios... granted ios is evil and is only kept arround to teach
dimond style inheritence imho.

Lastly C++ was a mistake, it was never suppose to happen.  It was invented as
a crutch for C programmer to get to Objective C.  Well C programmers are C
programmers and dammit we program C!  So for many year C++ was basicly C with
a few new hacks and the >> << operators.  It was not until the poor bastards
came up with the STL that things got cooking... by then it was too late,
people thought C++ was the way to go and we got stuck...  Lucky we now have
Java and C# to keep the "Industry Leaders" busy while C++ fixes itself...

Now as I stare down a gdb backtrace of a STL Vector I almost wish someone
other than NeXT would have pushed ObjC :P

Just my 2c

- -ian reinhart geiser