Michael F. Robbins on Thu, 20 Jun 2002 02:14:01 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Re: Samba worked but.....

On Thu, 2002-06-20 at 00:45, Sean Finney wrote:
> out of curiosity, why did you disable encryption on your windows box?

I was under the impression that for Windows networks without a WinNT/2K
server to be the domain login manager, encrypted passwords could not be
used.  This claim seems to be asserted by:
http://us1.samba.org/samba/ftp/docs/htmldocs/Integrating-with-Windows.html

However, browsing said site leads me to another interesting finding:
------
The following parameters can be used to work around the issue of Windows
9x client upper casing usernames and password before transmitting them
to the SMB server when using clear text authentication.

        passsword level = integer
        username level = integer

By default Samba will lower case the username before attempting to
lookup the user in the database of local system accounts. Because UNIX
usernames conventionally only contain lower case character, the username
level parameter is rarely even needed.
------

As Alex mentioned, his linux username is "Alex" with an uppercase
character.  Samba might be choking on this, according to this
documentation.  Alex, you might want to try making another linux
account, with all lowercase letters for the username, and seeing if you
make any more progress with that.

> if you don't need to not have the encryption, try turning it back on :)
> seriously, i think samba may have some... particularities... with
> clear passwords...

I think not.  Again, the site I mentioned above describes exactly three
ways to configure encrypted passwords, none of which meet Alex's
situation:
 - Use MS Windows NT as an authentication server
 - Make Samba a member of an MS Windows NT security domain
 - Configure Samba as an authentication server (using domain logins)
Unless he chooses to set up his linux box as a domain login server, I
don't think he'll be able to use encrypted passwords.

Michael F. Robbins
mike@gamerack.com