Noah silva on Mon, 24 Jun 2002 09:48:43 -0400

Re: [PLUG] CUPS Printing?

On 23 Jun 2002, Michael F. Robbins wrote:

> On Sun, 2002-06-23 at 12:19, Noah Silva wrote:
> > actually calling the "oki4lin" driver to actually PRINT ;)  Nor do I
> > know in which config file I would tell it to do this.
>
> /etc/cups/ppd/[PRINTERNAME].ppd is a copy of the file in
> /usr/share/cups/model.  But make sure you have ghostscript installed
> (apt-get install gs).

I am not sure there is a /etc/cups/ppd directory.  I will check when I am
back at my PC.  Ghost-script is installed.  As I said, I can print ok from
the oki4drv.  For example, I have been printing web pages by doing "print
to PostScript" in Mozilla, and then running "oki4drv ~/mozilla.ps" from
the command prompt.  This works fine.  (And Oki4Drv uses ghostscript).

> > As it stands now, I can print, and cups will accept it and add it to the
> > queue, but the queue never actually gets printed.  I can see a message
> > in the log file saying something like "cupsd: starting back-end:
> > parallel", and that's as far as I see.
>
> Hmm...  I thought that the hardware layer, like parallel in this case,
> comes after the interpreter layer (i.e ghostscript).  So that's probably
> a good sign.  Make sure your parallel port has proper permissions.

Again, since I can print directly from oki4drv, I think this means that
the parallel port permissions are set up ok.

 -- noah silva