multiple seriousity on Sun, 30 Jun 2002 04:28:32 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Through cell phone to Internet

On Sun, 30 Jun 2002, Paul wrote:
> This is the wife's phone so I'm not sure about it.  Is the one-year
> contract enforced after the first year?  I mean, if we want to switch to
> a different company after one year and four months, is it likely that
> Verizon would try to charge for an early cancellation fee?

Well, uhhmm... you need to do research first.  If you're asking such basic
questions, you shouldn't be considering such drastic measures in order to
get some slight bit of connectivity.  Why cancel your provider? Why not
just get a different phone that is capable of it?  And also check your
plan...  Also whats the value to you (her) for keeping the
phone/provider? How much does she use it? is her cell phone # on all her
business cards? etc... the FCC I believe was talking about something
regarding number portability, however, they have not yet put anything in
place regarding requiring that as far as I am aware, and it probably wont
happen for a number of years.

Also, if you don't know the fine print (will they charge me exhorbitant
fees for quitting?) then you need to read the fine print, sure, some
places are one year commitments, but I signed up for mine with a two year
commitment, also, I got a special deal when I signed up for mine.. that, I
will probably not be moving to another provider in the near future.. I got
too many free options, and they are supposed to stay with me as long as I
stick on the same plan. (Actually, this is why I signed up in the first
place, the deal was too good to miss.. although I had to fight tooth and
nail to get options I was supposed to have.. and there are some things, I
am unhappy with.)

> You mentioned that your phone has connectivity options.  I figure that I
> could get another free phone with those options if I move to a different
> provider.

Most likely you are not going to get a 'free phone' that does all you
want.. but then again... WHAT do you want to be able to do?

Do you want to be able to browse via WAP?  Do you want to receive text
messages? emails? send emails? Do you want to be aable to broswe the full
graphical web?  Different things may require different types of networks,
some types of networks may not be up and running yet, and in the future,
you may determine that you do not wish to pay the fees they want for some
of these options (3g for instance, sounds great, however, just like DSL, I
am sure they are going to charge exhorbitant rates for it.)

What do you want to spend for those options?

I can made modem and fax calls on my cellphone... 9600 baud.. although
I've never hooked it up to do so. I can also access WAP if I paid for the
additional service to do so (I've always figured that I might be able to
use a preexisting ISP to handle WAP, and then not pay additional fees for
the option, however, I never bothered to figure that out.)  I also paid
more $ to get this phone to do this.  Silly me, huh?  But I did expect to
have a laptop or something to take advantadge of these options by this
time..

Personally, though, right now I can send and receive emails from my phone,
receive dial-up pages, etc.

I see that your phone, at very least is capable of receiveing 255
character text messages (SMS).

> I did read something about the CDM-4000 having a data connector that
> doesn't actually work.  Of course, that doesn't help!

Well, if you can track down the info on this, it's something to research,
but looking at the manual for your phone, I don't see anything about it,
and I doubt it.

BTW, I have a Nokie 7160 on Cingular.

--
msimons@slackware.com INFORMATION*MEDIA*PHOTOGRAPHY msimonsmail@yahoo.com