Jason Costomiris on Sun, 30 Jun 2002 11:25:48 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Through cell phone to Internet

On Sun, Jun 30, 2002 at 02:28:08AM -0400, Paul wrote:
: Is there a way, either in WinXP or Red Hat 7.2, in which I can connect
: to the Internet through my cell phone?  I have an Audiovox CDM-4000-A
: phone through Verizon and an Inspiron 8100 with the mini-PCI modem and
: Ethernet interface.  (I have the Ethernet interface and the modem
: working under Linux.)  I might need the ability to connect through the
: cell phone with the next two months, plus it would be a nice thing to
: know about.

If your phone has IR and supports data, sure, just use it IR style.
Otherwise, get a data cable, as long as your phone's data capable!
You won't be hooking the phone up to the modem though, the phone will
have to directly support data.

I routinely do GPRS dialup over an IR connection to my Nokia 8390
(GSM on VoiceStream).  Works great.  Now if I can get Bluetooth working
under Linux, I'll switch to my 6310i, and use BT instead of IR...

--
Jason Costomiris <><           |  Technologist, geek, human.
                    My account, My opinions.