John Lavin on Mon, 1 Jul 2002 04:50:09 +0200

Re: [PLUG] log as root or not ?

christophe barbé said:
> Of course I say that ssh is good. I guess everybody is already persuaded
> that telnet and rlogin are not safe.
I am persuaded at the least...

> I don't understand your last sentence. Do you mean that you don't log in
> as root without encryption ?
I don't log in as root *remotely* as root, that's correct.

> You can have use passphrase to encode your private keys and use
> ssh_agent to do safe and convenient at the same time.
>
> My question is : Is there a good reason to avoid log in as root
> directly when using a secured channel ?
Then I guess an attacker still has to compromise a system with the keys
and break one password.  Same as if the sshed as a normal user and
attempted to crack the remove root password.  The best thing would
probably be to both not have a root authorized key *and* password
protect the private keys, but I don't go that far.

I guess its up to you.  I can't give you a reason, I just get skittish
having a root authorized key available remotely.

-john
--
John Lavin
jlavin@ccil.org