Arthur S. Alexion on Tue, 2 Jul 2002 08:42:58 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Through cell phone to Internet - perpetual mobile contract

On Sunday 30 June 2002 11:02 pm, kaze wrote:
> Their customer service sucks, but the coverage in the Philly area
> is good, relative to friend's providers.

I've had Cingular and Sprint.  They seem to have the same amount of
"dead spots", just in different places.  One difference I found, I
attribute to TMDA (Cingular) and CMDA (Sprint and most of the others,
except VoiceStream which is GSM).  TMDA/Cingular seems to deliver poor
quality in areas where the signal is weak but not dead.  CMDA/Sprint
provides a clear call in weak areas until loss of signal results in a
dropped call.  What this means is that with Cingular, I could tell when
I was going to drop a call because the reception would go bad first.
With Sprint, the quality remains good until the call is dropped.
Practiaclly speaking, this "feels" like better coverage.

> BTW, my Nokia 6160 will not work with Linux to get a laptop onto the
> 'net...

The laptop software that lets you use the phone as a modem is usually
just a dialer.  Have you tried manually dialing your ISP, then manually
starting your pppd?