Kevin Brosius on Tue, 2 Jul 2002 08:33:49 -0400

Re: [PLUG] PPP Server Problems

"W. Chris Shank" wrote:

> I'm attempting to setup remote dialin so that I can call home to get on the
> internet while i'm on vaca. I've reviewed the RedHat PPP Server Quick
> How-To, but am having trouble authenticating. Trying to use KPPP to test,
> set for PAP. If you have this working, please reply with your login.config,
> options, and inittab entries. also if you pap-secrets isn't too revealing,
> please include. I'd really like this to authenticate agains /etc/shadow, but
> it's not working so far.

Get it working yet?  I've got a SuSE setup working, with standard PPP,
so maybe this isn't close enough for you...

What's handling you're phone pickup?  I find that picking a getty is
half the pain of setting up dial-in ppp.

Note that I'm using mgetty for the dial-in line (is that what your
login.config question is for?)

For mgetty, in login.config, I've set:
/AutoPPP/ -     a_ppp   /usr/sbin/pppd auth login -chap +pap proxyarp
remote.ip:remote_machine

(I replaced my remote IP address and remote m/c name above.)

Also, in mgetty.config I added some things:
speed 38400

port ttyS3
  data-only y
  init-chat "" \d\d\d+++\d\d\dAT OK AT&F2 OK

(Note the data-only setting.  I had trouble with mgetty and my modem
successfully doing a non-data-only connection, and finally gave up.
This means I can't get both fax and data on the line when it's setup
this way.)

My inittab entry for the modem is:
# modem getty.
#mo:235:respawn:/usr/sbin/mgetty -s 38400 modem
S3:235:respawn:/usr/sbin/mgetty -s 38400 ttyS3

I don't have direct access to the full file, but my ppp options set are:
noauth
crtscts
lock
modem