Arthur S. Alexion on Tue, 2 Jul 2002 09:10:13 -0400

Re: [PLUG] [OT] Microsoft info: link to rant

There are two routes to government/taxpayer bailout/corporate welfare:
Either be a monopoly provider of a service that we need (Amtrak in
fact; MS probably perceived so by the majority in Congress) or be so
big that it would have a huge ripple effect on the economy (Airlines,
Crysler).  Probably one of the reasons to oppose mergers is to prevent
a company from getting into one of these categories, thereby insuring
that if managment gets greedy or screws up, the company will get bailed
out anyway.  It was one of the arguments against the acquisition of
CoreStates by First Union.  The fear was that FU failed, it would be a
disaster for the FDIC.