Arthur S. Alexion on Tue, 2 Jul 2002 09:13:53 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Through cell phone to Internet - perpetual mobile contract

On Tuesday 02 July 2002 08:59 am, multiple seriousity wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Jul 2002, Arthur S. Alexion wrote:
> > > BTW, my Nokia 6160 will not work with Linux to get a laptop onto
> > > the 'net...
> >
> > The laptop software that lets you use the phone as a modem is
> > usually just a dialer.  Have you tried manually dialing your ISP,
> > then manually starting your pppd?
>
> It won't work.  Because that cellphone is NOT capable of modem
> capability.
>
> This is the major issue in this discussion.  Like the person said
> before.. I don't want to keep beating a dead horse, but that is the
> issue.. (I will however argue with his idea that "none of the nokia
> cheapies can do it" heck, I spent a lot of my Nokia 'cheapie' that
> can do it. :P  he just needs to get a cellphone that is capable of
> acting as a modem.

I was addressing the complaint that a modem capable cell phone only
came with windows software for the computer that was using it (like my
kyocera 6035).  Since the software is basically just a dialer, you
probably don't need it to use linux.