gabriel rosenkoetter on Wed, 3 Jul 2002 11:02:48 -0400

Re: [PLUG] log as root or not ?

On Wed, Jul 03, 2002 at 08:33:13AM -0400, Jesse Schultz wrote:
> I am actually looking to implement a certificate based system for SSH
> POP3 and possibly a VPN system.  All would use the same certificate.
> Only myself and the owner of the company (An RF engineer so pretty
> technical) would have root access.

Is there something wrong with Kerberos5 for this? (Actually, there
are a variety of things wrong with it, both in protocol and
implementation, but it sounds like it's what you want.) You should
be able to find a POP3 server with a K5 authentication option
(though I don't know one off the top of my head), and OpenSSH has
been able to do this for ages.

But why do you want digital certificates? That requires a CA, which
is immediately where Mallory'd attack if he wanted to co-opt your
entire network.

(Fwiw, we're moving up on Radius for a single sign-on to Windows,
Solaris, Linux, and maybe still a little Novell. I don't know
whether Radius can hit a cert server, but I'd be moderately
surprised if it couldn't.)

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net