Bill Jonas on Wed, 3 Jul 2002 19:52:07 -0400

Re: [PLUG] patching the kernel (again)

On Wed, Jul 03, 2002 at 05:22:35PM -0400, Art Clemons wrote:
> zcat patch-2.4.19.rc1.gz |patch -p0 <Enter>
>
> I am assuming that you haven't previously patched linux-2.4.18, and that
> it's directory is named linux.  Otherwise before running the patch won't
> work without a softlink to whatever directory is used as linux is
> necessary.

That's unnecessary if you change into the top-level source directory and
use -p1 instead.  Additionally, if you don't want to see messages for
files which are patched successfully and just want to see error
messages, use the -s option.

To Fred: I respectfully suggest that if you don't know how to apply the
patches, it might not be a very good idea to run a pre-release (beta)
version of the kernel, especially if this is a production machine.  May
I ask why you don't wish to use the vendor-provided 2.4.18-4 RPM?  Is
there anything in particular wrong with it?

Bear in mind that there have been some fairly significant changes in the
2.4.19-pre series IDE code (IIRC), which is why it's been over 4 months
since the last official stable release; they wanted to give the new code
a good long shake-out period before turning it loose for production
systems.  (Can't recall where I heard this, and Kernel Traffic's not
providing anything quickly and obviously useful.  I think they added
ATA/133 support.)  Note that since they are calling it a release
candidate, it's *probably* a lot *more likely* that it's of the same
quality as a regular release, but note that there have been as many as
four -rc releases before the final, since they've started using the -rc
notation.

"They that can give up  essential  liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."        -- Benjamin Franklin