Noah Silva on Thu, 4 Jul 2002 00:45:40 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Pascal?

I think there are probably a few hundred implementations of basic
around.  Visual basic isn't a very "pure" basic in that it has been
warped a lot since it was made.  Even that micro-controller board they
showed us today had some sort of VB like basic implementation.  Turbo
basic died off a while ago in favor of pascal.  The best example I can
think of of a currently supported basic is StarBasic in the
OpenOffice.org and StarOffice office Suites.  Of course I would have
preferred some pascal like script or JavaScript..  but who can be
choosy?

What's more, there is RealBasic and GFA Basic (This last one was out for
windows but really popular on the Atari for some reason).

As an interesting aside, I have seen:
a.) A [very expensive commercial] program to convert VB projects to
Delphi.  I haven't used this, even when rewriting VB projects into
delphi.
b.) A [sample, as they will do other languages] program to convert
standard C into Borland Pascal.  This is really useful to convert .h
files into .inc files so I can use a DLL file that came with a .h to
describe it (like Lotus Notes, various stuff on linux etc.)

 -- noah silva