Geoff Rivell on Thu, 4 Jul 2002 04:50:08 +0200

Re: [PLUG] Pascal?

On Wednesday 03 July 2002 10:36 pm, Noah Silva wrote:

> Since I heard the groans around the room, I have to ask: Why?
> It has been my experience that many techie types (or hardcore C or ASM)
> are prejudiced against pascal just as much as Basic, but usually with no
> basis, or a very outdated basis.  There seems to be a lot of
> misconceptions floating around pascal (it's slow, it's not powerful,
> it's interpreted...), and I have to wonder why?

I use Free Pascal sometimes.  It's leagues above the old TP/BP for dos.
I'd say its no worse then a Perl/Python war.  Anyone who has used
Delphi/Kylix/Free Pascal knows Pascal has progressed well.  I'd say its
easier then C++, but with as many features.

That being said, it does suck having to install an extra lib just to run
Pascal apps :)  (Not sure about Kylix).

> I'm not trying to start a flame war, but I am interested on opinions
> about this.  I have programmed in Pascal and C (and modula and rpn, 68k
> asm, etc.) for many years, including designing some compilers in
> college, and so far, pascal is still my favorite ;)

Yeah.  Speed of development is not matched with Pascal.  It's just too easy.