Arthur S. Alexion on Fri, 5 Jul 2002 12:05:10 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Through cell phone to Internet - perpetual mobile contract

On Friday 05 July 2002 10:50 am, Jason wrote:
> I'm not as familiar with CDMA or TDMA, but you ought to be able to do
> better than 9600 bps over an IRDA connection with either of those
> (they might be limited by other traffic on the cell tower, however).

CMDA via Sprint is currently limited to 14.4 kbps.  If you connect via
Sprint.net (no extra charge) there is a proprietary compression built
in.  Sprint is trying to encourage other dial up ISPs to use the
standard, but I don't know if any do.  In August, they promise to
convert to G3 (whatever that is) which is supposed to provide
broadband connection speeds over compatible devices.