Arthur S. Alexion on Sun, 7 Jul 2002 16:04:17 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Memory hardware questions

On Sunday 07 July 2002 03:43 pm, Art Clemons wrote:
> Arthur S. Alexion:
> > My current setup includes 2 physical drives.  The older 1 GB IDE
> > drive holds the MBR and the windows system files.  The newer 40 GB
> > PCI/ATA 100 drive holds 2 or 3 more 2.2 GB windows partitions and
> > Linux.  The default boot is Linux.  In theory, I could move the
> > rest of windows to the ATA 40 GB drive, and use the old drive just
> > for the MBR and swap. However, I've heard windows is touchy about
> > not being on the boot drive, so will this cause more problems that
> > it solves?
>
> Windows isn't touchy about being on a different drive than the boot
> drive, but it is touchy about not having its boot files on the "C:"
> drive for some reason.  Also some braindead installation programs
> insist on writing to C:\windows\ or c:\program files|*.  You could in
> fact do a faithful copy of your present windows setup with Linux to a
> partition and edit the MSDOS.sys file in the root directory to change
> the windows drive and it would work, I've done this several different
> times.

But is the minimal boost I would get (from having my swap partition on
a separate drive) worth it?

BTW, Art, in connection with those brain dead installation programs
that want to put themselves on c:\program files, can you move the
contents of program files to , say, the e:\ drive, delete the directory
c:\program files, and replace it with a short cut of the same name (a
symlink) that points to the e:\ directory? (sorry for this OT question,
everyone)