Anthony Locascio on Sun, 7 Jul 2002 17:41:29 -0400

[PLUG] wu-ftpd questions...

ok I am running redhat linux 7.2 on a Dell poweredge 300,

I have a cable modem connection to the internet, and I have two network cards in the server, one for the internet and one for my lan. I am going to be running a real or guest only ftp server, no ANON connects.

I cant seem to get the FTP deamon to initialize with xientd, or whatever. I have created a "service" file in the /etc/xinetd.d/ directory, but when I try to browse my newly created ftp server either from a web broswer or via a ftp client, I get a cannot find server error.

The service file looks like this

# default: off
#    with users on different systems.
service ntalk
{
   disable    = no
   socket_type        = stream
   wait            = no
   user            = root
   group            = tty
   server            = /usr/sbin/tcpd
}

I basically got this configuration from a older howto file that was written for TCP wrappers, and not for xientd.

Yes I have rebooted my machine since I wrote this, and no that didnt work.

I think the basic problem comes from this, I didnt do anything funky with the other files (ftpaccess, ftpusers, ftppasswd). But I can post them, if that will help.

Thanks all Anthony