Arthur S. Alexion on Mon, 8 Jul 2002 10:13:31 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Memory hardware questions

On Monday 08 July 2002 09:24 am, Bill Jonas wrote:
> I don't know if people are aware of it, but Wal-Mart online is
> selling PCs with no OS; the lowest-priced machine is $400.  They're
> also selling PCs preinstalled with LindowsOS (but of course you could
> install whichever distro you want); the lowest price on these is $300
> for a Duron 850, 128MB RAM, 10GB hard disk, NIC, and 56K softmodem
> with Linux driver.  Even at the lower price of $35 for the RAM plus
> $90 to upgrade the processor, puts you nearly halfway there.

There's a trap here.  Every little thing just seems like a small
incremental link, and before you know it you've spent 3 or 4 times what
you started out to do.

There is also a goal thing.  If your goal is to obtain the most
computing power for the money, something like the walmart machine is
the way to go.  My goal is to make the most of  THIS machine, rather
than throwing it away.  I was raised by a mother who lived through the
depression.  She made it very difficult for me to throw things away <g>.