Bill Jonas on Mon, 8 Jul 2002 09:24:42 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Memory hardware questions

On Mon, Jul 08, 2002 at 12:01:18AM -0400, Jason wrote:
> At this point, might not be too much more money to just get a "not so
> new" (as in not the top of the line, but a couple of notches lower)
> motherboard, processor and RAM (you are already looking at buying RAM,
> plus spending $90).

I don't know if people are aware of it, but Wal-Mart online is selling
PCs with no OS; the lowest-priced machine is $400.  They're also selling
PCs preinstalled with LindowsOS (but of course you could install
whichever distro you want); the lowest price on these is $300 for a
Duron 850, 128MB RAM, 10GB hard disk, NIC, and 56K softmodem with Linux
driver.  Even at the lower price of $35 for the RAM plus $90 to upgrade
the processor, puts you nearly halfway there.

Just something to think about.  Link:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=1870914&cat=96356&type=1&dept=3944&path=0%3A3944%3A3951%3A41937%3A86796%3A96356

"They that can give up  essential  liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."        -- Benjamin Franklin