Kevin Brosius on Thu, 11 Jul 2002 17:04:29 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Red Hat Beta

gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 11, 2002 at 04:03:12PM -0400, Bill Jonas wrote:
> > 7.3 was released, what, a month or two ago?  So 8.0 should be out 6
> > months after that, which would be 4 or 5 months from now.  That gives 3
> > or 4 months of testing, *maximum*, which will probably be cutting it
> > close for a release in which they change the compiler to a new major
> > version and break binary compatibility.
>
> Oh no, say it ain't so. They're going to gcc 3.2?
>
> ::sigh::
>
> When will RedHat learn that it's really just not okay to use a
> compiler that's *not* complete yet...

Well, 'cuz some of the RedHat guys are driving the compiler changes and
new features.  So even if it's binary in-compatible they tend to put it
in RedHat first anyway.

When the new gcc changes broke XFree86 execution back a couple years ago
(on the released RH distro mind you) their response was "we can't test
all the different packages against our new compiler changes".

Oddly, I thought XFree86 was one of the more popular items. :)

--
Kevin Brosius