Noah Silva on Thu, 11 Jul 2002 18:25:26 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Pascal?

> I think we agree. I think that was the point that Noah was making as well.
> cout and printf are the same in pascal and objective pascal, can't
> remember what they are, though.

That was actually my point: writeln, and writeln. ;)

> I agree. I think I'd miss pointers in java. Also, I did think that it was
> easier to 'start' a program in c++ than it is in java. Maybe that's just
> me. I have been told that there are pointers in java, but they are
> 'hidden'. And no, I don't mean in the c-code that java is probably written
> in.

Well pointers will always be used in the implementation.  It's just that
in higher level languages, you normally don't have to worry about them,
and sometimes they are references and not hardware pointers.  For
example, to return a string in pascal, you just return a string, not a
pointer to anything.  This makes it a bit harder to mess up, but of
course somewhere, a pointer is used underneath because obviously you
can't put a string of arbitrary size on the stack, much less ina  a
register, whereas you can easily return a word with either of those
methods.  The only time you have to worry about this in pascal is when
you want to interact with binary code compiled in other languages
though.

  -- noah silva