Mitchell Maltenfort on Thu, 11 Jul 2002 22:38:17 -0400

[PLUG] Comcast or Verizon DSL for Linux laptop?

A premature hello, as I'm not moving to Philly for a few months yet.  I'm
currently happily using Directvinternet (formerly Telocity) for my DSL
service, though they tell me I'll have to disconnect with them and then
reapply.

Several leasing agents for apartments in Center City told me their
buildings were known to support DSL through Comcast or Verizon.

I know from general scuttlebutt that Verizon has a bad rep and neither
officially support Linux.  What I'd like to ask the list for is _specific_
scuttlebutt as to whether I should use either, or another service
altogether.

Tactical information: I use Mandrake Linux 7.2 (with various upgrades) on
a Toshiba Satellite 2800-S201 with built-in Ethernet card running on the
Ethernet Pro 100 module.

Thanks in advance.  See you this fall, I hope.

Known oxymorons: entertainment news, youth culture, focus group.
Probationary: intellectual courage, organized religion, deferred gratification.