Rebecca Ore on Fri, 12 Jul 2002 10:04:13 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Comcast or Verizon DSL for Linux laptop?

On Thu, 11 Jul 2002, Mitchell Maltenfort wrote:

> A premature hello, as I'm not moving to Philly for a few months yet.  I'm
> currently happily using Directvinternet (formerly Telocity) for my DSL
> service, though they tell me I'll have to disconnect with them and then
> reapply.
>
> Several leasing agents for apartments in Center City told me their
> buildings were known to support DSL through Comcast or Verizon.

So my brother was told before leasing half a house in East Falls and having
Verizon tell him that wasn't so.  Is the wiring in place?   Philly rents have
gone up but it's a renters' market still compared to a number of East Coast
cities.

> I know from general scuttlebutt that Verizon has a bad rep and neither
> officially support Linux.  What I'd like to ask the list for is _specific_
> scuttlebutt as to whether I should use either, or another service
> altogether.

Verizon installs require a Windows box because of the general way the username
and password is generated.  They don't officially support Linux but there is at
least one support tech playing with Linux.  Once you're using the service,
there's a o.verizon usenet hieararchy with a Linux group.

I've found to be fine once the fiddly bits got resolved, which include install.
One has to keep on top of them for that, but in a polite way.  My installer
remembered the other dsl line he put in here, and was able to find out what and
where the problem was with this one.

> Tactical information: I use Mandrake Linux 7.2 (with various upgrades) on
> a Toshiba Satellite 2800-S201 with built-in Ethernet card running on the
> Ethernet Pro 100 module.

Verizon has been offering a thirty day trial free -- if you can't get it
running, you mail them back the DSL modem.

--
Rebecca Ore