Arthur S. Alexion on Fri, 12 Jul 2002 15:04:34 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Comcast or Verizon DSL for Linux laptop?

On Friday 12 July 2002 06:40 am, LeRoy Cressy wrote:
> Comcast and Verizon are totally in bed with M$ and require Windows
> for setup.

Not true.  I used the anaconda/gui install for RedHat 7.2, and it
correctly detected and set up the DHCP connection.  I never had to
adjust a thing.  Literally the only Comcast thing I did was set up SMTP
to be stmp.comcast.net, since I do not use them for POP.  Everything
else worked properly "out of the box".

Also, I've used Comcast for quite a few years now (3, 4, can't
remember) since they first went into the broadband business (ours was
one of the first neighborhoods connected) and I can count on my fingers
the number of times we have been without service.  I don't know how
much of this has to do with the fact that the only ISP feature I use is
STMP.  BTW, the cost is $40 for cable tv subscribers and $50 for those
of us using rabbit ears.