Rebecca Ore on Fri, 12 Jul 2002 10:36:22 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Comcast or Verizon DSL for Linux laptop?

On Fri, 12 Jul 2002, LeRoy Cressy wrote:

> Comcast and Verizon are totally in bed with M$ and require Windows for
> setup.  Also they do port blocking and stuff so that you cannot even ssh
> into your system remotely.

Wrong.  When I needed help setting up Postfix, I made an account for a friend
who knows Postfix very well, the writer of a FAQ on how to set up auth with
Postfix.  He had no trouble ssh'ing to the IP number that showed up in
ifconfig.

Verizon has a reason for the mail setup it has -- most people are on MS still
and do fuckup and run AnalogX open to the world.  Asking for authentification
to the server is reasonable for most people.  The port 80 was blocked because
of virus problems and isn't even blocked in all locations.

Setting up postfix and fetchmail to deal with the mail was fiddly but not
*that* difficult.

--
Rebecca Ore