Rebecca Ore on Fri, 12 Jul 2002 10:58:23 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Comcast or Verizon DSL for Linux laptop?

On Fri, 12 Jul 2002, Noah silva wrote:

> Yeah my friend said she couldn't even use AIM to do file transfers (in
> windows).  this shouldn't be allowed to be sold as an internet connection,
> it should have be be called "limited access solution", or something
> similarly revealing.

Yes, it does appear to be the case that they're blocking file transfers in AIM.
My niece is testing this with me and says that a lot of businesses and
universities are also blocking this due to viruses and such.

Verizon's explanation for the port 80 block was that too many people were
either getting infected by the various worms and viruses, or complaining to
Verizon about seeing attempts in their apache logs.

--
Rebecca Ore