Nicholas Vettese on Tue, 16 Jul 2002 03:00:12 +0200

Re: [PLUG] HTML Editors - Amaya

I also have the full version of StarOffice 6, and I went to open a document that was done in Open Office 1.0, it came up with an error. I had to reinstall OO, then save it as a SO doc, and then open it in SO. Kind of freaky, but it shut down my SO in both Windows and Linux.
Nick

From: Noah Silva <nsilva@atari-source.com>
To: plug list <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
Subject: Re: [PLUG] HTML Editors - Amaya
Date: 15 Jul 2002 00:02:14 -0400

Hi,

I tried amaya and.. how can I put this nicely.  I was very
disappointed.  Mozilla's wysiwyg editing isn't too bad, because now you
can edit the code and switch back to a preview.  Also OpenOffice.org
(and staroffice) lets you edit HTML docs.

As an aside, I got my hands on the full (non-beta) version of StarOffice
6.0 today.  On the one hand, it is still the same program as
OpenOffice.org, but it does have a lot of spiffy tamplates and such
included, along with a better spell-checker, etc.  It's not like I went
broke with the $9.95 I spend to subscribe to red-carpet express to
download it ;)  I've spent a while playing with it, and suspect it is
from OOo 1.0.0, as it doesn't have any of the so6 beta or ooo641c bugs
anylonger.

 -- noah silva

On Sun, 2002-07-14 at 17:48, Arthur S. Alexion wrote:
> On Sunday 14 July 2002 02:18 pm, Arthur S. Alexion wrote:
> > I once downloaded a really nice one from w3c, but never really used
> > it. Can't remember the name.  I'm hoping I can find it and that it
> > has a unix version.  If so I'll post the info to this thread.
>
> Found it.  It's called HTML-kit.  Unfortunately, its windows only.
> It's homesite-like with really nice ftp hooks.  It also hooks into
> html-tidy.  I never got into using it as HotDog worked fine and I knew
> how to use it.
>
> In looking for it I came across their wysiwyg editor, Amaya.  I never
> liked wysiwyg, but I thought I'd give it a try.  It feels strange not
> seeing the code.  You can't really tell what you are adding and
> deleting.  It has a code window, but it seems a weak afterthought.
>
> Has anyone used this program for real work?  How does it compare with
> other wysiwyg editors?
> --

South Jersey Linux User's Group
http://sjlinux.org/