Fred K Ollinger on Tue, 16 Jul 2002 09:44:40 -0400

Re: [PLUG] new kernel bombs

> I'm using grub. i copied the grub entry from stock RH7.3, renamed it and
> modified it so that all references to 2.4.18-3 (initrd and vmlinuz) point to
> 2.4.18 instead. I left the original entry so that i can boot stock RH7.3 too.
>
> it starts to boot. it just dies partway through.

Did you compile the fs into the kernel or are you using initrd? I had
trouble booting kernels on rh7.x and I never figured it out. I got rh6.2
to boot the latest kernel and it works great. So you aren't alone here.
But I suspect you have a different reason for this trouble.

There are later kernels to check out: 2.4.18-5 which patches that horrible
ext3/smp bug. This is supplied under www.redhat.errata->7.3. Maybe rh put
the patches you want in the kernel. Also, you can try some kernels at
kernel.org--the preliminary 2.4.19 is out. I'm using 2.5.25 which so far 1
day 8 hours, has worked great. I had to change the name of the sound
module which I loaded: es1371 == snd-ens1371 to get it to load.

If you have the wrong system man, it doesn't matter save for debugging
purposes, so put the new one in /boot seeing as you need to debug this
kernel.

Fred