Jason on Wed, 17 Jul 2002 10:10:18 -0400

Re: [PLUG] 802.11 card

On Wednesday 17 July 2002 09H:54, Jason wrote:
> On Tuesday 16 July 2002 21H:41, Walt Mankowski wrote:
> > On Tue, Jul 16, 2002 at 09:28:34PM -0400, christophe barbé wrote:
> > > I need to buy a 802.11 laptop card tomorrow morning. I don't have much
> > > time to find the best card and the best price so I would really
> > > appreciate all your experiences. I need a card working with a 2.4.18
> > > kernel, ideally a cardbus (ie. a 32 bits card supported by the hotplug
> > > code). I will certainly buy it at BestBuy or CircuitCity.
> >
> > I'm quite happy with my Orinoco Silver card.  Been around forever, and
> > it's the card all the other cards claim to emulate.  Works great in
> > 2.4.18.  Unfortunately I've never seen it in any computer stores.  I
> > had to mail order it.
> >
> > Walt
>
> I've had decent luck with Linksys WPC11 cards. They're pretty cheap and
> widely available. However, pretty much any Prism 2.x/3 card should be
> mostly comparable. The greatest difference is likely to be power/signal
> strength considerations...

Oh, and the other major difference between implementations is interoperability
with other cards... Particularly w/ respect to WEP 64-bit/128-bit encryption.
These are pretty envolved topics, and I haven't seen a really good comparison
along these lines (WEP and power/signal strength) for the current generation
of 802.11b products. Most of the cards should at least be compatible w/ each
other w/ 48/64-bit WEP or w/ WEP completely disabled. Anyone else seen a
really good comparison?

Cards based on the same chipset really ought to be pretty equivalent, but the
latest nVidia comparisons are a similar example of many implementations based
on the same chipset w/ sometimes surprisingly varied results.

> Don't know if any of the cards out there are actually true cardbus cards.
> Most of the wireless network cards still don't support much past 11Mbps.
> Perhaps the next generation will see more cardbus need and support.
>
> I've never tried to build support into the kernel. From what problems
> others have described, this is still not recommended. AFAIK, definitely
> better support to compile wireless networking drivers as a module.
>
> I'm using SuSE 8.0 w/ the stock 2.4.18 kernel. I did have to grab the
> latest drivers from the wlan-ng project,
> http://www.linux-wlan.org/index.html , to get the WPC11 ver.3 card working.
> Also, I haven't had great luck with any distro's control-panel / GUI config
> utilities. Usually have to manually edit the config files to get things
> working.
>
> Cheers,
> Jason Nocks

HTH,