John Lavin on Fri, 19 Jul 2002 05:12:02 -0400

[PLUG] net install on old pentium trouble

Well, finally go DirecTV dsl at my home (yipee!) and have been enjoying the fast
throughput immensely on my laptop and desktop.

Now that I have full time intern et access, I've been trying to configure
a spare pentium as a dedicated firewall but I'm having trouble getting
the networking to function properly.

I have Netgear FA311 net cards and have met with success with two other
desktops with the same card.

I'm using woody install disks to do a net install.  I've been able to
use the same exact card in a newer desktop and able to connect but in
the pentium, I get recognition of the card, insert the natsemi module
without parameters and punch in manually the ip settings, but no
connection.

I've tried to do numerous things:
- different pci slots
- toggling "plug and play" off and on in the bios
- DHCP connection versus static

Am I not going to be able to reuse this box?

-john
--
John Lavin
jlavin@ccil.org