Jesse Huestis on Fri, 19 Jul 2002 08:46:15 -0400

Re: [PLUG] net install on old pentium trouble

John:

Try the following steps before worrying about the firewall.

1) Setup the external network card as DHCP or static depending on your ISP's instruction.
2) Test outbound connectivity, PING www.yahoo.com
If it works, you have verified DNS name resolution, and connectivity.
IF NOT, then the network card may not be compatible.

With that resolved, try installing the internal card. See if you can ping another computer on your private network.

Last try the firewall and see if you can get out.

Jesse

John Lavin wrote:

Well, finally go DirecTV dsl at my home (yipee!) and have been enjoying the fast
throughput immensely on my laptop and desktop.

Now that I have full time intern et access, I've been trying to configure
a spare pentium as a dedicated firewall but I'm having trouble getting
the networking to function properly.

I have Netgear FA311 net cards and have met with success with two other
desktops with the same card.

I'm using woody install disks to do a net install.  I've been able to
use the same exact card in a newer desktop and able to connect but in
the pentium, I get recognition of the card, insert the natsemi module
without parameters and punch in manually the ip settings, but no
connection.

I've tried to do numerous things:
- different pci slots
- toggling "plug and play" off and on in the bios
- DHCP connection versus static

Am I not going to be able to reuse this box?

-john
--
John Lavin
jlavin@ccil.org