LeRoy Cressy on Mon, 22 Jul 2002 09:21:57 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Suggest a Host

Concerning your comment about frontpage, you might want to use: Open Office xemacs html mode netscape/mozilla composer

As with any html composer you want to test the on a windows, Linux, and MAC box to see how it looks. Some of the composers make really bad html across various platforms.

Editors. I use Pico.

Debian includes a pico like editor called nano where you do not have to compile from source.

They have Apache, PHP 4.2.1, MySQL (I really want
PostgreSQL, but that's OK. I might not even get used.)

MySQL has a smaller ``footprint'' so I think it is more appropriate for web development. Most of the commands between the two are the same.

I don't know
what mail server they run, but it supports IMAP.

The mail server and the pop/imap server are usually two different packages. The Debian default mail transport agent is exim, while there are various choices for IMAP/POP utilities.

I was just concerned that Debian would be different enough to cause some trouble for me.

Here's what they say about Debian:

Debian is the distribution of the linux operating system we use on all of our servers. It is the "open source" distribution, run by a volunteer organization rather than a company. We have found it to have the best software packaging solution and highest stability of all linux distributions and we love it to death! We also have a few OpenBSD machines running as firewalls. We have no Windows NT/2000 servers of any kind. We find them to be too insecure, instable, inflexible, and expensive for our needs as a premiere hosting provider!

This is kinda funny: "Microsoft Frontpage is a somewhat popular web-publishing program that *we do not recommend you use*. We recommend buying a book on HTML or using CityDesk."

But this worries me: "Also note, if you turn on FP Extensions your CGI scripts will no longer work." My customer uses Front Page. Blah. Is it typical that CGI cannot be enabled when Front Page extensions are enabled?