LeRoy Cressy on Mon, 22 Jul 2002 11:29:39 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Suggest a Host

To find out what packages are loaded on a Debian system do:

dpkg -l | grep  [Ee]ditor

will show you a list of all of the editors loaded on the system

dpkg -l will give you a listing of everything

Paul wrote:
Concerning your comment about frontpage, you might want to use:
Open Office
xemacs html mode
netscape/mozilla composer

There is a small misunderstanding. I will not use Front Page personally. My customer uses it. I code the hard way or use Mozilla Composer recently.

I do not consider hand coding html the hard way. In the long run your code is a lot smaller and formated for someone later to work on it.

Debian includes a pico like editor called nano where you do not have to compile from source.

Yeah, I've tried that. It is very similar. How about Joe?

Joe and every other editor imaginable is part of the Debian Distribution.

MySQL has a smaller ``footprint'' so I think it is more appropriate for web development. Most of the commands between the two are the same.

I would agree that MySQL is good for data output for Web sites, but I would use PostgreSQL if the database is going to be large with a lot of data entry.

As you mentioned it is good to choose the tool based upon the function that the tool will perform. I doubt that your client needs something as robust as PostgreSQL. If your client does need something that big I might be wise to set up a separate box as a SQL server.