Noah silva on Mon, 22 Jul 2002 12:28:50 -0400

Re: [PLUG] gaim-kit-aim

> Art Clemmons appears to be right that gaim may require loaidng the gtk
> library (not the entire gnome set), but it non the less consumes very
> few resources and seems to be the most mature product of those
> available.  So, I'll take his word that gaim consumes fewer resources
> than AOL AIM.

This is probably true, because in order to get a binary package to work
out of the box on the most distributions, one of the easiest ways is to
just compile everything in staticly.  So for example, even if you have QT
loaded, and even is AOL's IM client uses QT, it will likely load its own
copy that's linked in and take up twice as much memory.

FYI: I will have a jabber server up again soon.  I took the one I had down
because I took the machine it was running on offlike in order to use the
IP address for something else.

   -- noah silva