Arthur S. Alexion on Mon, 22 Jul 2002 12:33:49 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Suggest a Host

On Monday 22 July 2002 10:03 am, Paul wrote:
> There is a small misunderstanding.  I will not use Front Page
> personally.  My customer uses it.  I code the hard way or use Mozilla
> Composer recently.

The way I read the thing you quoted, the conflict is between the
FrontPage extensions and CGI, not the FrontPage editor.  I tried
FrontPage when it first came out.  It was a big package, including a
"personal web server" for testing, and a lot of site managment tools,
not just page creation.  One of the things it offered were these front
page extensions that replaced CGI for those people who had personal
hosting packages that did not support access to cgi-bin.  The
extensions also helped out when the site author did not know how to
write scripts.  The page author uses frontpage to create the scripts
that require the extensions on the server to run.  MS then encouraged
ISPs to load the extensions.  Apparently use of the extensions on the
server conflict with use of cgi-bin.  If your client does not use the
extensions, it shouldn't matter what page editor they use.

BTW html-tidy does a nice job of stripping out the MS garbage before
uploading the page, and your client should find it easy to use.  You
could create some batch files for them to use its different options.